What is Amazon’s Dangerous Goods Program?
FBA Dangerous Goods program allows sellers to sell risky items. Note, amazon uses the word Hazmat Goods as well. What are they? Well, hazmat goods include flammables, corrosives, or pressurized units. In other words, hazmat could cause harm at any point in it’s lifecycle if subjected to manufacturing defect or mis-treatment. There is higher risk for Amazon to store! Therefore, Amazon charges more to store these goods. As such, Amazon charges more to store them. All the info in this guide is from Amazon directly – FBA Dangerous Goods. However, we read it for you. In fact, this guide discusses the definition of Hazmat. It reviews how to ID a dangerous good. And lastly, it advises how to apply for the program.
What is a FBA Dangerous Good or Hazmat Good?
While they sound scary, “dangerous goods” usually refer to consumer products such as laptops, smartphones, household cleaners, spray paints, and cosmetics.
In short, check out some basics as to what qualifies as a Dangerous Good or Hazmat:
- Lithium Battery-operated products. Laptops, cameras, smartphones, tablets, or chargers.
- Items with magnetized materials. Speakers and headphones, light meters, and some kid’s toys.
- Products with non-harmful chemicals. Glue and adhesives, spray deodorants, hairspray and hair dyes, or bug-control substances.
More broadly speaking, the follow criteria also fall into the scope of hazmat….
- Flammable solids, liquids and gases
- Non-flammable and non-toxic gases
- Oxidizers and organic peroxides
- Toxic and corrosive substances
These pose useful definitions for dangerous goods – but where is the red line for Amazon? What will they not accept? In fact, it’s quite simple. Look below:
- Explosive substances and toxic gases
- Substances dangerous when wet, or liable to spontaneous combustion
- Infectious substances and radioactive materials
How to Identify FBA Hazmat Products?
Safety Data Sheet
A manufacturer provides a Safety Data Sheet (SDS) to buyers. It measures product specs and categories. As such, an SDS includes hazard classification of each item produced for a buyer. The buyer in turn can give this to Amazon. This is important during the application process.
However, to get a general idea on hazmat goods look below. Here is a partial list of dangerous goods which Amazon regulates.
Apparel with Rechargeable Batteries
|Baby||Antibacterial Items |
|Books||Song Books |
Magazines with Beauty Samples
|Food & Beverage||Aromatic & Essential Oils|
Foods in Aerosolized Containers
Spirits High-Alcohol Goods
|Health & Household||Cleaners & Cleansers |
Dishwashing & Laundry Powders / Liquids
|Home Improvement||Pesticide Products|
|Office||Toners & Cartridge Equipment Cleansers Highlighters|
Markers, Pens, & Refills
|Pet Products||Ear & Eye Care |
|Shoes & Bags||Light-Up Shoes & Soles |
Shoe Stain Remover
|Video Games||Controllers |
How to Apply to Sell FBA Dangerous Goods?
Amazon features an FBA Dangerous Goods Program. But how do you join the club?
The US program has a current waitlist. To join the waitlist, you must do the following:
- Log in to Seller Central.
- Go to Manage Dangerous Goods Classification.
- Choose the FBA Dangerous Goods program option.
- Click on Apply to the FBA Dangerous Goods program.
Some sellers join the waitlist automatically. This will happens if stored products get reclassified as dangerous goods.
Submitting an SDS to Amazon for the FBA Dangerous Goods Program
It’s recommended that you submit a valid SDS from the start. This will speed the hazmat review process.
As we said, safety data sheets state if a product contains hazmat components. For example, battery-powered items or chemical-based products.
Now, if you can’t get an SDS, but the item does not contain harmful chemicals, you can upload an exemption sheet. Here’s how to do so:
- Download the sheet template from the Manage Dangerous Goods Classification site.
- Fill in all relevant fields, such as ASIN and warning label acknowledgments.
- Go back to Manage dangerous goods classification.
- Select the ASIN, marketplace and file language.
- Choose the exception sheet (it must be less than 20 MB).
- Click on “Upload file.”
- Repeat the process to submit more sheets.
The marketplace will notify merchants when they can take part in the program. Once enrolled, Amazon will transfer your items to a warehouse qualified to handle hazmat goods.
FBA Dangerous Good sellers can ship extra products to the warehouse.
They must only follow the next guidelines:
- Ship FBA eligible products.
- Products must be in new condition.
- Pack limited quantities, as stated by the Title 49 of the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations
Above and beyond this, Amazon employs a team which reviews hazmat items. Their goal is to ensure each item matches Amazon’s safety standards. Of course, the seller must provide data to the team to ensure all parties clearly understand the nature of the hazmat product. This starts and ends with the Seller submitting the info on the Product Listing of said dangerous good. Here are four basic areas the seller must disclose the details of their hazmat product:
- Product title
- Detailed description
- Bullet Points
- Pictures or images
FBA Storage for Dangerous Goods
Did you know there are qualified fulfillment centers that accept Hazmat products? Indeed, Amazon likes to limit risk. As such dangerous goods get stored in qualified fulfillment centers. Here there exist spaces specific to managing the storage dangerous goods.
Amazon uses two FBA hazmat categories for goods: aerosol and flammable. They only store these items in limited amounts, to reduce risk and keep staff safe. For exact pricing on FBA storage of dangerous goods, look here:
|Dangerous Goods Products|
|January – September||$0.99 per cubic foot||$0.78 per cubic foot|
|October – December||$3.63 per cubic foot||$2.43 per cubic foot|
Sellers can check their hazmat product storage limits on Seller Central. Note – hazmat storage limit is not based on IPI but rather Marketplace performance.